• Breaking News: Two-Car Accident Closes Orinda Eastbound 24 Entrance at 7:30am January 30, 2014

WISE Struggles to Guide Students Properly

David Beal, Staff Writer
May 31, 2011
Filed under Opinion

During second semester there comes an exhilarating day for freshmen, sophomores and juniors all across campus.  Sometime in February, counselors pop into each English class and distribute that colored course sign-up sheet asking: What do you want to learn next year? For some juniors, this is a particularly... Read More »

New “Jane Eyre” Attempts to Capture Source Material

Jane Eyre

Evocative fable stars Mia Wasikowska, Michael Fassbender

David Beal, Staff Writer
March 11, 2011
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Featured A&E, Movies

Charlotte Brontë wrote her classic British coming-of-age novel Jane Eyre in 1847, 164 years ago.  For 111 of those years, filmmakers and television producers have been throwing together countless screen interpretations, from silent films to faithful miniseries to zombie B-movies.  This latest... Read More »

“Live at the Orinda” Returns for Second Year

David Beal, Staff Writer
March 9, 2011
Filed under Entertainment

The Orinda Theatre will host a live stand-up comedy night this Friday, March 11 at 8:00 p.m. The second annual “Live at the Orinda” will feature six comedians: Ed Tracey, Mark Pitta, Dan St. Paul, Vic Dunlop, G. King, John Fox, and Denny Johnston. The event is for those aged 17 and older. Tickets... Read More »

Beach House Plays ‘Dreamy’ Set at Fillmore

Beach House

Indie pop duo transports sold-out crowd.

David Beal, Staff Writer
March 2, 2011
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Music

Midway through Papercuts’ opening set for Beach House, someone next to me remarked, “ They all look like they’ re about to fall asleep.” Indeed, there they were, gazing at their shoes, emanating loose, soporific indie-pop echos from the hallowed stage of the Fillmore Auditorium. Singer Jason... Read More »

Community Debates Future of Downtown

David Beal
December 16, 2010
Filed under News, Top Stories

Orinda citizens and leaders review different proposals for downtown revitalization Controversy is stirring around proposed changes to Orinda’s downtown. Two public workshops at the Orinda Community Church on Oct. 18 and Dec. 9 provided forums for discussion about the downtown’s... Read More »

The Tourist is Dead on Arrival

THE TOURIST

The Tourist

Director Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck's newest movie fails to live up to his previous.

David Beal, Staff Writer
December 13, 2010
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Movies

At some point in The Tourist, a spy movie that’s both new and old, Johnny Depp tells Angelina Jolie, “Where I come from, the highest compliment you can pay a person is to say they are down-to-earth, grounded – and it drives me nuts.” Depp is Frank Tupelo, an American math teacher... Read More »

British Bromance Kicks Off Oscar Season

MOVIE KINGS SPEECH

The King's Speech

The King's Speech is slated to win big at this year's Academy Awards.

David Beal, Staff Writer
December 13, 2010

The signature shot in The King’s Speech, repeated countless times, looks slightly downward at Albert, Duke of York (Colin Firth) in a claustrophobic, offset framing with fisheye distortion. If it wasn’t already clear enough, the character is living in a fishbowl-world, drowned by the public... Read More »

Stewart and Colbert Host Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear

David Beal
November 5, 2010
Filed under News

“Civil Is Sexy.” “Stark Raving Reasonable.” “Beck – Go Fox Yourself.” “My Arms Are Tired.” These were just a few of the signs carried around the National Mall Saturday, Oct. 30, when Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert hosted the “Rally To Restore Sanity and/or Fear.” Stewart and... Read More »

No One is Friendly in “The Social Network”

David Beal
October 1, 2010
Filed under Entertainment

Relationship status: In a relationship.  Mark Zuckerberg, a Harvard sophomore, and his girlfriend Erica Albright are having a rapid and heated discussion in a dim Harvard restaurant in fall 2003.  She longingly tries to keep up with him, but soon gives up.  “Listen.  You’re going to be successful... Read More »

“Jennifer Cathy” Raises Facebook Concerns

David Beal
October 1, 2010
Filed under Opinion

Approximately 90% of Miramonte students use the online social network Facebook.  If you are one of them, last year you may have received a friend request from a “Jennifer Cathy.” Those who viewed Cathy’s Facebook profile page or accepted her as a friend saw an attractive blonde... Read More »

Court Grants Corporations Power to Think For Us

David Beal
March 12, 2010
Filed under Opinion

When Obama boldly chastised the Supreme Court in his Jan. 27 State of the Union address, it provided a breath of fresh air that the U.S. desperately needed.  If the Court makes an incorrect decision, they shouldn’t be immune to criticism. They should be held accountable. On Jan. 21, the Court decided... Read More »