Should We Rely On Nuclear Power?: Con

Katrina Kovalik, News Editor
April 25, 2011
Filed under Opinion

Nuclear power has long been considered a potential source for energy on our planet. With non-renewable energy sources like coal and oil running out quickly with humans’ rapid consumption of power, scientists strive to discover the next alternative or renewable energy source that can fuel our world... Read more »

Is James Franco Worth The Hype? | Con

Is James Franco Worth The Hype? | Con

Katrina Kovalik, News Editor
March 11, 2011
Filed under Opinion

Celebrities already make us feel bad with their good looks, but now they make us feel bad about our inability to multitask. James Franco: the very definition of an over-achiever. We know he is good-looking and has some acting talent, but does he also have to be an author, a student, an artist, a model,... Read more »

Natural Phenomena Astound the World

Katrina Kovalik
February 4, 2011
Filed under Feature

Northern Lights Also known as the Aurora Borealis, the Northern Lights provide viewers with a beautiful show in the night sky of lights that range virtually the entire color spectrum. The Aurora is generated by collisions of magnetically charged particles that enter the atmosphere from... Read more »

Junior Places as Finalist in Science Competition

Katrina Kovalik
December 16, 2010
Filed under News

While many Miramonte students lounged around the house on the Sunday afternoon of Nov. 14, or maybe struggled over a chemistry lab, junior Eric Wu was at the California Institute of Technology presenting his research on bio-engineering to 12 judges, all with PhDs. Have you noticed a large blue banner... Read more »

Young Republicans Establish Club

Katrina Kovalik
November 5, 2010
Filed under Feature

Miramonte seniors and friends Berkeley Fife, Shannon Garvey and Morgan Thyberg co-founded Miramonte’s new Young Republicans Club (YRC). So far, the club has met with much success in what is presumed to be a dominantly liberal environment. The three girls gained about 55 sign-ups on club day, mostly... Read more »

Orinda Votes on City Council, School Board

Katrina Kovalik
November 5, 2010
Filed under News

With all precincts reporting, Orinda City Council and School Board election results reveal an extremely close race; all candidates recieved between 16 and 24 percent of the vote. After the votes were tallied from 16 precincts, incumbents Amy Worth and Sue Severson will remain on the City Council while... Read more »

Brown Campaign Features Former Mayor

Katrina Kovalik
October 1, 2010
Filed under News

Steve Glazer works as the official manager of Jerry Brown’s campaign for California governor Steve Glazer, a Miramonte parent, Orinda City Council member and former Mayor of Orinda, now serves as campaign manager for 2010 California gubernatorial candidate Jerry Brown. Glazer was appointed... Read more »

High School Baseball Debates Bat Safety

Katrina Kovalik
May 28, 2010
Filed under Sports

A bill which would place a two-year moratorium on metal baseball bats in California high schools was approved by the Senate Education Committee on May 5 and will move on to a vote in the full Senate. Although the arguments about the use of metal bats versus wooden bats has long sparked controversy... Read more »

Mirador Suggests Books Worth A Read

Katrina Kovalik
May 28, 2010
Filed under Feature

Title: The Hunger Games Author: Suzanne Collins Published: 2008 Mood you should be in: A “root for the underdog” attitude Synopsis: In a post-apocalyptic world, an oppressive government holds an annual... Read more »

Men’s Golf: Ball Striking Wonders

Katrina Kovalik
April 23, 2010
Filed under Sports

Despite having only nine players this year, the men’s golf team has been utilizing all of its old, as well as new, talent in relentless pursuit of making it to NCS. This season’s leading scorers include team captains Alex Paxton ‘10 and Will Lavis ‘11 as well as Jordan Nevares ‘11, Erik... Read more »

University Budget Cuts Spark Protests

Katrina Kovalik
March 12, 2010
Filed under News

In the face of massive state budget cuts, the University of California school system will attempt to make up for a possible loss of $813 million by accepting more out-of-state students in addition to further hiking the tuition for California students. UC already raised undergraduate tuition for in-staters... Read more »

Pennsylvania School Violates Student Privacy

Katrina Kovalik
March 12, 2010
Filed under News

Schools across the country have made use of numerous resources for monitoring students, including campus surveillance systems, filtering software on library computers and even social networking sites like Facebook. However, the administration of Harriton High School in Pennsylvania has been accused... Read more »

Genocide Continues in Western Sudan

Katrina Kovalik
February 5, 2010
Filed under News

The black Muslim people of Darfur live every day in fear of being murdered, seeing their families murdered, and watching their houses burn to the ground. And if they manage to escape these horrors, most will end up in an Internal Displaced Persons (IDP) camp where the chances of starvation are higher... Read more »

California Launches Online Textbook Initiative at the Start of School Year

Katrina Kovalik
December 17, 2009
Filed under News

In May 2009, Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger launched the California Digital Textbook Initiative to place, at the very least, high school-level math and science textbooks online.  This initiative aims to make the information in textbooks more accessible to all students and save money that could be put... Read more »

State Water Supplies Remain at a Trickle

Katrina Kovalik
November 6, 2009
Filed under News

Many California communities haven’t felt the full force of a real drought. Especially not here in Orinda where every time we turn on the faucet or jump in the pool we are taking our readily-available water for granted. Despite the torrential downpour in mid-October, California’s water deficiency... Read more »