Seniors Ditch Despite Financial Losses

Seniors Ditch Despite Financial Losses

Lauren Dahlberg-Seeth
May 25, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

On Monday, May 21, a majority of Miramonte’s class of 2012 did not report to some or all of their classes as a part of “senior ditch day.” Traditionally, high school seniors pick a day of school to ditch towards the end of their second semester. What these students may not realize is that their... Read more »

Oakland Police Crack Down on Protests

Oakland Police Crack Down on Protests

Lauren Dahlberg-Seeth
December 15, 2011
Filed under Opinion

... Read more »

Social Media Sparks the Arab Spring

Lauren Dahlberg-Seeth
September 30, 2011
Filed under Opinion

This past year, the world bore witness to groundbreaking developments in several Arab nations. From our living rooms, we witnessed protests and civil wars across the Middle East—people banding together in their efforts to topple corrupt regimes and oppose restrictive government policies. But what was... Read more »

Former Student’s Death Upsets MHS Community

Lauren Dahlberg-Seeth, Staff Writer
May 27, 2011
Filed under News

James Abriel, a Sonoma State student and Miramonte alum, was found dead in Annadel State Park on May 7. Abriel, 19, had been reported missing 13 days earlier. The body was found with a gun that his parents had also reported as missing. A number of suicide notes found both at his family’s residence... Read more »

French Government Prohibits Islamic Burquas

Lauren Dahlberg-Seeth, News Editor
May 27, 2011
Filed under Opinion

The recent law implemented in France restricts Muslim residents from wearing veils in public As of this March, it is officially illegal to wear a burqa or niqab in any public area of France. Although this law is estimated to have an impact on less than 2,000 women total, it sends a discriminatory... Read more »

Maverick’s Surf Competition Makes Waves

Lauren Dahlberg-Seeth
February 3, 2011
Filed under Sports

Top surfers from across the globe will flock to the icy waters of Half Moon Bay on just hours notice to compete at the annual Maverick’s surf competition under the new name, “The Jay at Maverick’s Big Wave Invitational,” which honors the memory of Maverick surfer Jay Moriarity. This one-day... Read more »

Police Riots Raise Concern in Ecuador

Lauren Dahlberg-Seeth
November 5, 2010
Filed under News

Ecuador was in an eight-day state of emergency at the beginning of October after an insurgent group of the nation’s police force attacked President Rafael Correa. On Sept. 30, police rioted to protest the approval of a Public Service Law that would significantly cut police wages, extend promotion intervals,... Read more »

California Gay Marriage Ban Overturned

Lauren Dahlberg-Seeth
October 1, 2010
Filed under News

After numerous protests and lawsuits targeting the newest addition to California’s state constitution, Federal Judge Vaughn Walker overturned Proposition 8 on Aug. 4, 2010 during the case of Perry v. Schwarzenegger, where he found the ban on same-sex marriage to be unlawful. In the 2008 California... Read more »

Hard Work Pays Off For Oakland Srokes

Lauren Dahlberg-Seeth
May 28, 2010
Filed under Sports

After months of high-intensity training, the season’s work finally paid off for athletes at Oakland Strokes Rowing Club. At the Southwest Regional Championships on May 8 and 9, all of the eights (boats including eight rowers and one coxswain) in Oakland Strokes’ varsity division placed in the top... Read more »

Competition Heats Up for Gubernatorial Primary

Lauren Dahlberg-Seeth
May 28, 2010
Filed under News

On Nov. 2, the 2010 California Gubernatorial Election will be held to replace current Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger with the next governor of our state. Although candidates from a variety of parties have been campaigning throughout California, the leaders of this election remain Democrat Jerry Brown,... Read more »

Which Sunscreen is the Right Choice for You?

Lauren Dahlberg-Seeth
April 23, 2010
Filed under Feature

What teen wouldn’t want to banish their pale skin in favor of a deep, dark tan? Unfortunately, although a tan may be fashionable, it’s also visible proof that your skin has cellular damage. Repercussions of sun damage, such as wrinkles, premature aging, and skin cancer can be prevented if you... Read more »

Softball Team is Optimistic and Prepared for Season

Lauren Dahlberg-Seeth
March 12, 2010
Filed under Sports

It’s a new year, and the Miramonte softball team is ready for a fresh start. With a previous record of 3-17, the Lady Mats are ready to step up their game this season. Out of the 26 girls that initially tried out, the varsity team selected 17. “Tryouts lasted about three weeks,” said Kim Miller,... Read more »

New Year’s Resolutions that Everyone Fails

Lauren Dahlberg-Seeth
February 5, 2010
Filed under Entertainment

Of the people who decide to make New Years resolutions, less than 40% maintain them throughout the year. While some of those goals are unrealistic (like running for president, or acing AP Euro), others, in theory, should be relatively easy (like taking a trip or helping the less fortunate). Now that... Read more »