Spring Musical an Amusing Success

Rachael Oczkus, Entertainment Editor
March 18, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Entertainment

This weekend, the spring musical Once Upon a Mattress premiered at Miramonte. After months of rehearsal, the cast was “excited to finally perform the show in front of an audience!” said Cecily Schmidt, who plays Queen Aggravain, arguably the most hated character in the production. The... Read more »

Miramonte’s Musical Premieres Tonight

Miramonte’s Musical Premieres Tonight

Rachael Oczkus, Entertainment Editor
March 15, 2012

Come one, come all to see Miramonte’s production of Once Upon a Mattress opening tonight at 7:30pm! You won’t be able to contain your laughter while watching this parody of the classic fairy tale The Princess and the Pea. Nobody in the kingdom can marry until Prince Dauntless, played... Read more »

Student of the Issue: Ashley See

Rachael Oczkus, Entertainment Editor
February 3, 2012
Filed under Feature

Senior Ashley See joined the public school world this year. Despite what some people think, See did not move here from British Columbia. In fact, she was born and raised in Orinda just like the rest of us. You may not recognize her because she has attended private schools for her entire life up until... Read more »

Votes Dictate Stance on Gay Marriage

Rachael Oczkus, Entertainment Editor
November 4, 2011
Filed under Opinion

With the upcoming presidential election fast approaching, our country’s politicians are polishing their official platforms, closing any loopholes and clarifying all the details. Today, the issue of gay rights proves to be tricky for many candidates, as it exposes both their background and belief systems.... Read more »

Killer Elite Features Killer Cast

Rachael Oczkus, Entertainment Editor
September 30, 2011
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Movies

The bad boys in the business, Jason Statham, Clive Owen, and Robert De Niro star in the new film Killer Elite. The action packed adventure loosely based off of Ranulph Flennes’ novel, The Feather Men, keeps viewers on their toes with an intricate plot. Killer Danny Bryce (Statham) attempts to... Read more »

New Fall Shows Fill the Season with Drama

Rachael Oczkus, Entertainment Editor
September 30, 2011
Filed under Arts & Entertainment

Ringer: CBS Premieres: Tuesday, Sept. 13 at 9/8c Buffy’s no longer a vampire slayer. Now, she’s a twin. Sarah Michelle Gellar returns to the tube as a set of identical twins. A stripper and her Upper East Side sister, both played by Gellar, lead opposite lives but ultimately, find themselves alike... Read more »

Miramonte Appoints New ASB Officers

Miramonte Appoints New ASB Officers

Rachael Oczkus
May 27, 2011
Filed under Top Stories

Next year’s ASB President, Scotty Huhn, and ASB Vice President, Brianna Bierbaum, along with fellow ASB officers Carlyn Wright and Micah Solit are preparing for the upcoming year as leaders of Miramonte’s student body. The officers plan to work for and with the students in order to accomplish... Read more »

Drama Produces Boundary-Pushing Play

Rachael Oczkus
April 25, 2011
Filed under News

This May, the spring play, Too Much Light Makes the Baby Go Blind, will take drama to a whole new level. Based off of the original script by the Neo-Fururists Theatre Company, the production features over 30 short and interactive skits taken from the actors’ real lives created to include the audience... Read more »

Athlete of the Issue: Bryce Pummer

Rachael Oczkus
February 4, 2011
Filed under Sports

Bryce Pummer ‘11, star wrestler and captain of the wrestling team is proving himself as the most adept wrestler on the team. Keeping a section record of 23-1 this year, he is fighting to participate in the state tournament. From the beginning of his middle school wrestling career, the OIS coaches... Read more »

Animal Planet Captivates Audiences

Rachael Oczkus
November 5, 2010
Filed under Entertainment

Animal Planet, a channel dedicated to the education of viewers, is home to some of the most controversial shows with famous hosts like Steve Irwin, aka the Crocodile Hunter. Nowadays, the network features animal hoarders, the misunderstood pit bull, and even Bubbles, Michael Jackson’s famous chimp.... Read more »

Silly Bandz’ Mysterious Appeal

Rachael Oczkus
October 1, 2010
Filed under Entertainment

This summer’s most popular accessories, Silly Bandz, are sweeping the nation.  From elementary to high school students, wearing, trading, and giving away these silicone bracelets sparks competition for the most psychedelic arm. From a trendy office supply rubber band to a fashionable collector’s... Read more »