Roots

Roots

Colleen Burke, Opinion Editor
March 10, 2014
Filed under Columns, Top Stories

On the floor of your room your eyes are hidden by clouds, You, or your heart, cannot see a thing; Not even your head can rationalize.   Day by day you trudge on ... Read more »

More than a Couch

More than a Couch

Colleen Burke, Opinion Editor
January 15, 2014
Filed under Columns, Top Stories

... Read more »

Set Your Soul on Fire

Set Your Soul on Fire

Colleen Burke, Opinion Editor
November 8, 2013
Filed under Columns, Top Stories

What makes your heart sing? What sets your soul on fire? Too cheesy? Who ever said that cheesy was a bad thing...? Music is something that should envelop your body, take hold of every part of you, and fill it with some form of emotion. Whether it be content, melancholy,... Read more »

Things Can Change

Things Can Change

Colleen Burke, Opinion Editor
October 7, 2013
Filed under Columns, Top Stories

Sometimes... Well, often, it feels like things can't ever get better. But things can change. They can become better and amazing... They can speak to you and help you grow if you just give it time. Most of the time if something... Read more »

Mirador Investigates Constructive Possession

Colleen Burke, Opinion Editor
October 4, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Although the intention behind Miramonte’s “constructive possession” rule is to keep students safe, in reality it puts innocent students in danger of being unjustly reprimanded. Many students don’t actually know what constructive possession is, and the Miramonte High School agenda describes it... Read more »

A Glimpse into Hypochondria

A Glimpse into Hypochondria

Colleen Burke, Opinion Editor
May 9, 2013
Filed under Columns, Top Stories

Hypochondria is defined as “an excessive preoccupation with one's health, usually focusing on some particular symptom” or “excessive worry or talk about one’s health.” Truthfully, it transcends that definition. It is an emotional and psychological thing, one can be born with it... Read more »

Pro: Are Celebrities Responsible for Fans’ Actions?

Colleen Burke, Staff Writer
February 8, 2013
Filed under Opinion

When someone has a talent, they can do two things with it: share it with the world for fame and money, or share it for the enjoyment of both the audience and the creator. Once someone signs to a label, they sign away their freedom and sign their name onto a new person. They then have to become a certain... Read more »

Over and Over Again

Over and Over Again

Colleen Burke, Staff Writer
February 1, 2013
Filed under Columns, Top Stories

Once you reach your junior year, your life changes. Not due to the fact that you often take harder classes and have to start thinking about SATs and college, but because of the way people begin to treat you. Teachers, friends, and strangers alike all say the same things and ask the same questions. “What... Read more »

A Belief Can’t Be Wrong

A Belief Can’t Be Wrong

Colleen Burke, Staff Writer
January 4, 2013
Filed under Columns, Top Stories

One large question in some people’s lives is whether or not there is a God. Whether or not everything that has happened was in their plan or if it happened on their own terms. Whether or not they will go somewhere after they die. Whether or not they are being looked after by a higher being. Was... Read more »

Eight Nights are Better than One

Eight Nights are Better than One

Colleen Burke, Staff Writer
December 12, 2012
Filed under Feature, Top Stories

While many students are hunkering down by the fireplace embracing their family traditions on a Christmas Eve, some have a different agenda. Winter break is often thought of as Christmas break for all those who celebrate it. However, people don’t always take into account those who don’t share the... Read more »

No Judgement But…

No Judgement But…

Colleen Burke, Staff Writer
December 7, 2012
Filed under Columns, Top Stories

“You all have got to stop calling each other sluts and whores. It just makes it okay for guys to call you sluts and whores.” The wise words of Tina Fey in Mean Girls.  Fey presents the idea that it isn’t men that make women feel self conscious and worthless, but it is our own gender. This is more... Read more »

Trade Our Shoes and Walk a Thousand Miles

Colleen Burke, Staff Writer
November 2, 2012
Filed under Columns, Top Stories

On a particularly cold and dreary day, many things seemed more interesting to me than the drones of my teacher: the rain took my mind somewhere far away from the classroom. It inspired a somewhat nostalgic and heartfelt thought of those around me. I would glance around the classroom, not only to pretend... Read more »

GOP Attacks Planned Parenthood

Colleen Burke, Staff Writer
September 28, 2012
Filed under Opinion

One of the many heated controversies in the upcoming Presidential election is the stance Republican candidates Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan take on abortion and Planned Parenthood. Barack Obama-approved commercials report that Ryan and Romney violently oppose abortion in almost all respects, and if elected... Read more »

Let It Out

Let It Out

Colleen Burke, Staff Writer
May 16, 2012
Filed under Columns, Top Stories

High school is a “trying time” full of schoolwork and over dramatic teenagers. And you can’t forget about the perpetual desire to be perfect or the winner. Sometimes you just need to Let it Out. Time to ditch that awkward stage and search for the boy or girl that will just “totally make life... Read more »

Student Elections Take Miramonte By Storm

Colleen Burke, Staff Writer
May 1, 2012
Filed under News

Every year student elections are held at Miramonte High School, but never before have they seemed to take over the school like they have this year. Hand-made posters covered the school, and flyers with clever puns were handed out to almost every passer-by. Not only that, but paper plates... Read more »

Big Bromances Hit the Small Screen

Big Bromances Hit the Small Screen

Colleen Burke, Staff Writer
April 18, 2012
Filed under Columns, Top Stories

Bromances. They are defined as a friendship between two men that is extremely close. Guys seem to to be downright confused by the close relationships that girls have, but for some strange reason, the male population strongly desires to be included in some good old fashioned male bonding. Bromances... Read more »

Naming Inanimate Objects

Naming Inanimate Objects

Colleen Burke, Staff Writer
March 21, 2012
Filed under Columns

Inanimate objects often play a big role in our lives. We bless our cars, phones, and electronics with creative names. But I got to thinking, why? Giving something a name tends to create a type of bond, maybe not as strong as a Hydrogen bond, but one nonetheless. It makes the death or disposal of said... Read more »

Viva Amigos

Viva Amigos

Colleen Burke, Staff Writer
March 9, 2012
Filed under Feature

In hopes of future travels to Panama, Paraguay, Mexico or Ecuador to help communities, four Miramonte students joined the Amigos de las Americas. Sophomores Ariel Ramirez, Claire Ramer, Keely McCormick, and junior Brian de Luna began training in October with about 45 other volunteers from around the... Read more »

Television Shows: To Air or Not to Air

Television Shows: To Air or Not to Air

Colleen Burke, Staff Writer
February 22, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Columns, Top Stories

Introducing Colleen Burke, one of Mirador’s new monthly columnists! Her articles are posted on the fourth Wednesday of every month. There is always that one television show you stay up just a little bit later to watch or rush home from school to catch from the very beginning.... Read more »

Daniel Radcliffe Not-So-Magical in Latest Flick

Colleen Burke, Staff Writer
February 6, 2012
Filed under Entertainment, Movies

The Woman in Black is Daniel Radcliffe's attempt to create a new name for himself outside of the Harry Potter movies. Still, his pale, ghostly face bares an eternal look of fear and abnormally furrowed eyebrows. The film's plot has great potential to leave the audience screaming, however, the... Read more »

Miramonte Students Adopt a Gluten-free Lifestyle

Colleen Burke, Staff Writer
February 3, 2012
Filed under Feature

“Gluten free” cards read in grocery stores across the country. Those two words have been appearing more frequently in the last year. In fact, one out of every 133 U.S. citizens is said to have Celiac disease or Gluten Sensitive Enteropathy (GSE). This disease, though often thought of as an allergy... Read more »

√-1 Love Math!

Colleen Burke, Staff Writer
December 15, 2011
Filed under News

Posted on colored fliers sprinkled around the school, the name MathLab sparks interest among many of the faculty and students at Miramonte. Is it a program? A game maybe? In reality the MathLab is something much more helpful than any math computer game that students played when they were younger. Although... Read more »

Girl’s Tennis Fights for a Late Season Comeback

Colleen Burke, Staff Writer
November 4, 2011
Filed under Sports

This season, the Miramonte girls varsity tennis team struggled to live up to their former success, but still managed to perform well in DFAL competition. The team tied for second place in DFAL with Dougherty Valley, behind rivals Campo. Since the girl’s tennis team was formerly considered one of... Read more »

Should a VPA be Required to Graduate?: Con

Colleen Burke, Staff Writer
November 4, 2011
Filed under Opinion

Visual and Performing Arts, although required by UC schools, should not be required to graduate Miramonte. Many students do not have the desire to pursue something in that category, and it wastes their valuable time that they could use to take a class that is connected to their career goal. Also,... Read more »

Are Teen Humanitarians Helpful?: Pro

Colleen Burke, Staff Writer
September 30, 2011
Filed under Opinion

Service trips to developing countries radically benefit poor communities overseas, but, more importantly, they help the American teens that go there. These trips broaden the sheltered teens’ worldviews and even teach them a little about themselves. They also inspire teenagers to take on new responsibilities... Read more »

Creative Writing Contest: Second Place – Days Down to Zero

Colleen Burke
February 4, 2011
Filed under Feature

He stopped short and whirled around. Without thinking he yelled my name, Evita. He then crossed his fingers, wishing he had been right. And he was. I turned around and once I saw his face, smiled. I whispered his name to myself, as he strode towards me. “Jake? Is it really you?” I asked. He answered... Read more »