Julia and Julia Bid Adieu to You

Julia Govan and Julia Hass
May 31, 2013
Filed under Entertainment

Dear Julia and Julia, Next year, like most other Miramonte students, I’m doing the whole college thing. Growing up in the ‘burbs, it’s the next logical step right? After high school you go to college and then maybe some grad school and then you work in a cubicle until you drop. That’s... Read more »

Students Should Look Beyond the Name of a College

Julia Govan, Opinion Editor
March 15, 2013
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

As seniors look to next year and begin to weigh their college options, and as more and more college decisions come rolling in, the questions of finance and debt loom over parents and students alike. In the Lamorinda community, the name of the university can be a huge deciding factor in a student’s... Read more »

Player of the Issue: Ryan Coletta

Player of the Issue: Ryan Coletta

Julia Govan, Opinion Editor
February 8, 2013
Filed under Feature

As of late, the name Ryan Coletta has taken the Miramonte student body by storm. Senior Ryan Coletta is an active member of the Miramonte drama department and known for his talent, wit and most recently, his leading role in the Miramonte play, Hamlet. Coletta fell into acting completely accidentally.... Read more »

Con: Is Facebook Still Cool?

Julia Govan, Opinion Editor
September 28, 2012
Filed under Opinion

I, like many of my peers, have had a Facebook account ever since MySpace became outdated and “uncool.” With Facebook’s release to the public in 2005, the social networking site generated a new medium to communicate with friends, post photos, and share thoughts on each others’ walls. And while... Read more »

Sports Scholarships Put Pressure on Student Athletes

Julia Govan, Opinion Editor
May 25, 2012
Filed under Opinion

It’s no secret that colleges are looking for the well-rounded student. But what exactly is a well-rounded student? These days, it has become vital that early teens begin building up their college applications before even stepping foot onto their high school campus freshman year. Not only do students... Read more »

Oscar Show Meets Expectations

Oscar Show Meets Expectations

Julia Govan, Staff Writer
March 8, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Movies

The 84th Oscars far exceeded expectations this year. Billy Crystal hosted them for his ninth time, and despite his somewhat creepy and blatantly obvious plastic surgery, he did America proud. His jokes were far edgier this time around, abandoning some of his lame, slapstick-style jokes. His classic opening... Read more »

SAT Cheating Scandal Highlights Changing Culture

Julia Govan, Staff Writer
February 3, 2012
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

In early January, a shocking news story titled “The Perfect Score” ran on CBS News’ 60 Minutes. The story featured Sam Eshaghoff, a 19 year old college student who cheated on the SAT more than 16 times and until recently got away with it. Police arrested the teen for fraud and criminal impersonation... Read more »

Earthquakes Shake the Bay

Earthquakes Shake the Bay

Julia Govan, Staff Writer
December 15, 2011
Filed under News

In the weeks following the Oct. 20 California Shakeout Drill, Bay Area residents experienced multiple earthquakes of varying magnitudes. Consequently, a common question has arisen: are these smaller tremors simply releasing pressure or are they leading up to the “big one?” “Neither,” said... Read more »

MHS Students Gain International Recognition

Julia Govan and Katie Hoskins
September 30, 2011
Filed under Feature

To spectators, Synchronized Swimming may seem tame compared to the rougher contact sports that most Miramonte participate in. However, synchronized swimmers senior Heidi Homma, and sophomores Tori Yee and Grace Moran know that this sport is more than just choreography and sparkly costumes. “You... Read more »

eHarmony for College Roommates Works

Julia Govan, staff writer
September 30, 2011
Filed under Opinion

The college roommate selection process has changed drastically within the last few years, opening the doors to wary incoming college freshmen who traditionally couldn’t choose their roommate. Instead of the traditional random draw out of the thousands of other undergrads, students can now lend a hand... Read more »