Matadors Conquer the Stock Market

Matadors Conquer the Stock Market

Karmi Chan, News Editor
February 8, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

Four Miramonte students recently tamed the bears and bulls of the financial zoo that is the stock market. Seniors Gigi Axelrode, Alicia Sanchez, McKenna Scalise and Mia Taapken placed in the top three teams in the Fall 2012 Stock Market Game competition in the California region. Out of over 26,000... Read more »

Mats Experience the Thrills of Sailing

Mats Experience the Thrills of Sailing

Karmi Chan, News Editor
February 8, 2013
Filed under Sports, Top Stories

Watching the sunset over the horizon and feeling the light breeze of fresh salty air are some of the many perks of sailing. A few Miramonte students experience this joy frequently by sailing through the Encinal Yacht Club in Alameda. Miramonte sailors include Sydney Livingston ‘13, Caroline Colwell... Read more »

7 Wonders of the Bay Area

7 Wonders of the Bay Area

Karmi Chan, News Editor
December 20, 2012
Filed under Feature, Top Stories

Drawing inspiration from the list of the Seven Wonders of the World compiled by experts, Mirador set out to catalogue the Seven Wonders of the Bay Area. Using rigorous selection criteria, we have created a list that will stand the test of time itself. Like Mt. Everest, Mt. Tamalpais rises... Read more »

Fears and Phobias Haunt Students

Fears and Phobias Haunt Students

Karmi Chan, News Editor
September 28, 2012
Filed under Entertainment

It’s pretty common to be afraid of spiders and heights, but here at Miramonte, students have some very peculiar fears and phobias. Take a look at some of the most unusual fears on campus. (Warning: This is not an invitation to terrorize your fellow classmates with said fears.) Lockers “Who... Read more »

Community Faire Comes to Moraga

Community Faire Comes to Moraga

Karmi Chan and Katie Hoskins
May 25, 2012
Filed under News

On Saturday, May 12, the Moraga Chamber of Commerce hosted its sixth annual Community Faire in the Rheem Shopping Center parking lot. Every year the fair provides a fun, friendly environment for residents to connect with local businesses and artists while playing carnival games, enjoying local delicacies,... Read more »

Scouts Enrich the Bay Area Community

Scouts Enrich the Bay Area Community

Karmi Chan, Staff Writer
April 20, 2012
Filed under Feature

Scouting award traditions remain prominent at Miramonte High School. Through dedication and hard work, several students have received the greatest possible honor in scouting: the Eagle Award for boys and its equivalent for girls, the Gold Award. Many students have been involved in scouting since kindergarten,... Read more »

J$ and the Gamers Hit Up the Boards

J$ and the Gamers Hit Up the Boards

Karmi Chan, Staff Writer
March 9, 2012
Filed under Feature

For chemistry teacher Jennifer Moore, exposing her students to a variety of uncommon board games is one of the joys of being a teacher. “There’s a whole world of games I want to expose students too,” Moore said. “There’s so many more games that deserve recognition besides Monopoly.” A... Read more »

Drama Students Perform in Original Works Festival

Karmi Chan, Staff Writer
February 27, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Entertainment, Featured A&E

On Friday, Feb. 24 Miramonte presented the exclusive one night showing of the Original Works Festival. Students in all different levels of Drama participated in these short plays. The plays ranged from the serious, emotional tragedies to the hilarious adventures of superheroes. Drama students wrote... Read more »

The Vow Doesn’t Live Up to Expectations

The Vow Doesn’t Live Up to Expectations

Karmi Chan and Katie Hoskins
February 10, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Movies

For months, women across the country have been enticed by the attractive stars and the intriguing storyline of the The Vow. Girls everywhere counted down the days until they could see Channing Tatum boldly fight for Rachel McAdams’ love in the romantic drama. The pairing seemed ideal, but... Read more »

Denny Receives Award

Karmi Chan, Staff Writer
February 3, 2012
Filed under News

Miramonte teacher Barbara Denny is the 2011 recipient of the Orinda William Penn Mott Jr. Environmental Award for her extraordinary efforts to preserve our community. This award was created in honor of William Penn Mott Jr., an Orinda resident who dedicated his life to preserving the environment. Throughout... Read more »

Write Santa a Letter, Mad Libs Style

Write Santa a Letter, Mad Libs Style

Karmi Chan and Katie Hoskins
December 15, 2011
Filed under Entertainment

Instead of stressing about how to compose your letter to Santa, simply fill in the blanks, Mad Libs style! Your name: Salutation: Verb: Noun: Food: Beverage: Number: Unit of Time: Adjective: Type of Family Member: Number: Animal: Plural Noun: Number: Famous Movie Star: Song: Plural... Read more »

Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?

Can I Get a Whoop Whoop?

Karmi Chan, Staff Writer
November 4, 2011
Filed under News

This year, California enacted a new law mandating teenagers in grades seven through 12 to receive a booster shot for pertussis, more commonly known as whooping cough, in order to reduce the spread of the disease. This new law applies to students in both public and private schools. In 2010 California... Read more »

Mirador Carves Pumpkins

Karmi Chan
November 1, 2011
Filed under Entertainment, Video

... Read more »

New Restaurants Popularize Lafayette

New Restaurants Popularize Lafayette

Karmi Chan and Katie Hoskins
September 30, 2011
Filed under News, Top Stories

On Sept. 21, the popular Mexican restaurant Chipotle opened a Lafayette location and may be followed by Fenton’s Creamery next year. The new Chipotle took the space formerly occupied by NorSki and El Belazo in the Plaza shopping center. City Manager Steven Falk has been involved in the process... Read more »