• Breaking News: Two-Car Accident Closes Orinda Eastbound 24 Entrance at 7:30am January 30, 2014

Class of 2013 Destinations

Class of 2013 Destinations

Katie Hoskins, Editor-in-Chief
May 31, 2013
Filed under Feature, Top Stories

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arizona State University Gaelen Faulkner Patrick Fabian Alexander Jordan Cevae Nava-Lewis Connor Holton Northern Arizona University Jesse Haddon Dillon Read University of Arizona Muneesvuren... Read More »

Should Violent Movies be Shown in Schools?: Pro

Katie Hoskins, Editor-in-Chief
May 9, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Looking back at my time here at Miramonte, a slew of movies portraying violence come to mind. Over the years I’ve seen a troubled US Marine shoot his commanding officer and then himself in Full Metal Jacket and the Khmer Rouge shoot innocent Cambodians in the Killing Fields, three times over. Not to... Read More »

Skid Row Comes to the Miramonte Stage

Skid Row Comes to the Miramonte Stage

Katie Hoskins, Editor-in-Chief
March 15, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

Tonight and tomorrow night, the Miramonte Drama and Music departments will present their final performances of Alan Menken’s Little Shop of Horrors in the theater. Students have been rehearsing since mid-January, perfecting the complicated songs and choreography before opening night. The show follows... Read More »

Seniors Remember OPI

Seniors Remember OPI

Katie Hoskins, Editor-in-Chief
February 28, 2013
Filed under Feature, Top Stories

Every February, 50 Miramonte seniors and a select group of staff are invited to explore Washington State's Olympic Peninsula for a week of exploration, conservation, and class bonding. Without cell phones or laptops to communicate through, students learn to pass the time actually conversing with one... Read More »

Remembering the Fads of Yesteryear

Remembering the Fads of Yesteryear

Katie Hoskins, Editor-in-Chief
February 27, 2013
Filed under Entertainment

Gauchos and Ponchos, ole! Probably attempting to actively support the growing Hispanic population in California, elementary school girls of the late 90’s and 2000’s loved to flaunt their Spanish ensembles. Ponchos first made their debut in the early elementary years as a stylish new way... Read More »

Understanding the Fiscal Cliff: An Inside Look

Katie Hoskins, Editor-in-Chief
December 20, 2012
Filed under News

If you have listened to the morning news or glanced at a newspaper in the past few months, odds are you’ve seen or heard something about a so-called Fiscal Cliff. Some of you may be wondering, what exactly is this Fiscal Cliff? How did we get to this point? Is this a sign that the world will indeed... Read More »

Recent Fire Burns Orinda House

Recent Fire Burns Orinda House

Reese Levine and Katie Hoskins
December 20, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

Following the house fire at 28 El Gavilan Way on the morning of Nov. 25, questions arose about the response time of the Moraga Orinda Fire District. On Nov. 30 MOFD released a timeline of the response and a full audio recording. The Otsmaa family owns the home, but at the time of the fire they were... Read More »

Uncovered: Best Bread of the Bay

Uncovered: Best Bread of the Bay

Katie Hoskins, Editor-In-Chief
September 28, 2012
Filed under Feature

1. Pasta Pomodoro Location: Emeryville & Pleasant Hill There are two sides to every breadbasket. There’s the actual bread and then there’s whatever the waiter or waitress gives you to put on it. Pasta Pomodoro’s bread excels in both of these areas, winning it the rightful... Read More »

Is Facebook Still Cool?- Pro

Is Facebook Still Cool?- Pro

Katie Hoskins, Editor-in-Chief
September 28, 2012
Filed under Opinion

In middle school, I was always jealous of all the kids who had Facebook accounts. My friends would show up to school everyday and tell me about the funniest statuses from the previous night or a funny picture someone posted, as if they were members of an exclusive club in which everyone knows everything... Read More »

Admin Enforces School Policy

Reese Levine and Katie Hoskins
September 28, 2012
Filed under News

Since classes began in August, the Miramonte High School administration has actively been enforcing regulations in an effort to uphold the integrity of the school environment. The administration has suppressed traditional activities for the beginning of the year including Senior Women shirts and the... Read More »

The Pink House at 209 Moraga Way

The Pink House at 209 Moraga Way

Katie Hoskins, Editor-in-Chief
September 28, 2012
Filed under Feature, Top Stories

Built in 1894, the pink house has always been a symbol of the history and rural roots of Orinda. Rumors of a past train station and even a haunting by Bloody Mary herself circled the small house. As the town of Orinda grew into the bustling suburb it is today, the house has remained essentially unchanged,... Read More »

Community Faire Comes to Moraga

Community Faire Comes to Moraga

Karmi Chan and Katie Hoskins
May 25, 2012
Filed under News

On Saturday, May 12, the Moraga Chamber of Commerce hosted its sixth annual Community Faire in the Rheem Shopping Center parking lot. Every year the fair provides a fun, friendly environment for residents to connect with local businesses and artists while playing carnival games, enjoying local delicacies,... Read More »

What to Expect From Summer Reading

Reese Levine, Katie Hoskins, and Sophia Bollag
May 25, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Books, Entertainment

While the upcoming summer months promise days of fun in the sun and massive amounts of ice cream, for many of us enrolled in AP or Honors classes, summer also means summer reading. Instead of procrastinating and waiting until post-Mats day to get going, know what to expect as you delve into the wonderful... Read More »

What to Expect From Summer Reading

Katie Hoskins, Reese Levine, and Sophia Bollag
May 24, 2012

by Katie Hoskins, Sophia Bollag, and Reese Levine While the upcoming summer months promise days of fun in the sun and massive amounts of ice cream, for many of us enrolled in AP or Honors classes, summer also means summer reading. Instead of procrastinating and waiting until post-Mats... Read More »

“The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel,” Not Just For Old Folks

Katie Hoskins, Editor In Chief
May 4, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Movies, Top Stories

Director John Madden’s The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel shines with all the brilliance and charm of a British dramatic comedy and proves that having social security and a few grandkids doesn’t mean you can’t have an adventure. This is the classic story of never giving up and finding the... Read More »

Virus Research Dangerous But Important

Virus Research Dangerous But Important

Katie Hoskins, Staff Writer
April 20, 2012
Filed under Opinion

In 1917, the deadliest outbreak of a flu virus plagued the globe, killing over 50 million people in a matter of months. The Spanish-flu epidemic still holds the spot for causing the most deaths due to influenza with a mortality rate between 2 and 3 percent. However, now scientists have found a possibly... Read More »

Orinda Welcomes a New Parks Director

Orinda Welcomes a New Parks Director

Julia Hass and Katie Hoskins
March 13, 2012
Filed under News

Starting in January, Michelle Lacy took on the position of the new director of Parks and Recreation for the city of Orinda. The Orinda Parks and Recreation department covers all the facilities in the Orinda parks, including the Orinda Community Center and all sport fields. “My control is over any... Read More »

Facebook Ad Targeting Violates Privacy

Facebook Ad Targeting Violates Privacy

Katie Hoskins, Staff Writer
March 9, 2012
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

On Feb. 1, the social networking site Facebook filed for an initial public offering (IPO), meaning that, for the first time, investors can buy stock in the company. According to The Wall Street Journal, the company’s estimated value will be between $75 and $100 billion when it opens this spring.... Read More »

The Vow Doesn’t Live Up to Expectations

The Vow Doesn’t Live Up to Expectations

Karmi Chan and Katie Hoskins
February 10, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Movies

For months, women across the country have been enticed by the attractive stars and the intriguing storyline of the The Vow. Girls everywhere counted down the days until they could see Channing Tatum boldly fight for Rachel McAdams’ love in the romantic drama. The pairing seemed ideal, but... Read More »

2012 Promises New Albums and Failures

2012 Promises New Albums and Failures

Julia Hass and Katie Hoskins
February 3, 2012
Filed under Arts & Entertainment, Entertainment, Music

Lana Del Rey- Born to Die- Jan. 2012 You either love her or you hate her, but the “Video Games” singer does have an intriguing voice. She can either emulate the soul of Adele’s voice, as seen in “Born to Die” or the whine of a baby in “Kinda Outta Luck.” Her recently released... Read More »

Write Santa a Letter, Mad Libs Style

Write Santa a Letter, Mad Libs Style

Karmi Chan and Katie Hoskins
December 15, 2011
Filed under Entertainment

Instead of stressing about how to compose your letter to Santa, simply fill in the blanks, Mad Libs style! Your name: Salutation: Verb: Noun: Food: Beverage: Number: Unit of Time: Adjective: Type of Family Member: Number: Animal: Plural Noun: Number: Famous Movie Star: Song: Plural... Read More »

Bay Area Offers Many Volunteering Opportunities

Julia Hass and Katie Hoskins
November 4, 2011
Filed under Feature

Miramonte Key Club Key Club provides many volunteer opportunities on campus. The Key Club’s goal is to raise money for various charities and organizations like the Pediatric Trauma Prevention (PTP) organization. The club also raises money for itself in a local setting by working... Read More »

MHS Students Gain International Recognition

Julia Govan and Katie Hoskins
September 30, 2011
Filed under Feature

To spectators, Synchronized Swimming may seem tame compared to the rougher contact sports that most Miramonte participate in. However, synchronized swimmers senior Heidi Homma, and sophomores Tori Yee and Grace Moran know that this sport is more than just choreography and sparkly costumes. “You... Read More »

New Restaurants Popularize Lafayette

New Restaurants Popularize Lafayette

Karmi Chan and Katie Hoskins
September 30, 2011
Filed under News, Top Stories

On Sept. 21, the popular Mexican restaurant Chipotle opened a Lafayette location and may be followed by Fenton’s Creamery next year. The new Chipotle took the space formerly occupied by NorSki and El Belazo in the Plaza shopping center. City Manager Steven Falk has been involved in the process... Read More »