• Breaking News: Two-Car Accident Closes Orinda Eastbound 24 Entrance at 7:30am January 30, 2014

The Many I’s in Team

The Many I’s in Team

Maya Sherne, Online Editor
December 23, 2013
Filed under Columns, Top Stories

My freshman year, there were eight freshmen on Miramonte’s Varsity soccer team.  We all came into the season timid, but excited for the opportunity to play competitively with other students. As the years went on, not all eight players returned, but for those that did, we became closer... Read More »

Give Thanks

Give Thanks

Maya Sherne, Online Editor
November 27, 2013
Filed under Columns, Top Stories

A few weeks ago, my grandmother passed away after spending years suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, a debilitating neurological disease that took the last years of her life and the last memories I had with her.  My family and I were overwhelmed and humbled by our old friends, new friends,... Read More »

Con: Is the Death Penalty an Effective Punishment?

Maya Sherne, Online Editor
May 31, 2013
Filed under Opinion

If you ask a group of students: “is murder wrong,” the majority of them would say yes.  If you ask the same group of students, is the death penalty wrong, some would say yes, and some would say no.  However, the death penalty and murder are essentially the same act - just under different circumstances. Some... Read More »

Underreported Global Hot Spots

Underreported Global Hot Spots

Maya Sherne, Online Editor
May 31, 2013
Filed under News

As the media continues to focus on the sensational news stories of the day, many have forgotten broader international struggles present today .  The Mirador reports on five underreported hot spots throughout the world to raise community awareess on important global human rights issues. 1.... Read More »

Teenagers May Not Have The “Right” To Be Rebellious

Maya Sherne, Online Editor
May 31, 2013
Filed under Opinion

Growing up, some children look up to police officers as their heroes, the men and women who protect them from harm and who keep their community safe.  However, as these children get older, and the desire to test limits increases, anti-police sentiments become more common.  Teenagers no longer look... Read More »

Miramonte Twin Day Photo Gallery 2013

Miramonte Twin Day Photo Gallery 2013

Maya Sherne, Online Editor
May 2, 2013
Filed under Entertainment, Multimedia 1, Top Stories

Today, Miramonte celebrated its annual Twin Day.  Here's a glimpse at the "twins" seen on campus.

Miramonte Community Participates in Annual Blood Drive

Maya Sherne, Breaking News Editor
April 18, 2013
Filed under News, Top Stories

On Thursday, students and faculty participated in Miramonte’s annual blood drive.  Students 16 and older signed up to give blood to Blood Centers of the Pacific throughout the day in the small gym. Blood Centers of the Pacific is a community-based nonprofit organization that provides... Read More »

Men’s Golf Continues Domination

Men’s Golf Continues Domination

Maya Sherne, Breaking News Editor
March 15, 2013
Filed under Featured Sports Story Carousel, Sports

Varsity men's golf continued their winning streak this week with a win against Las Lomas on Wendesday, and a win against Doughtery Valley on Thursday. "We played Dublin and lost, so we've had one bad match so far," Dom Paoletti '14 said. "Other than that, we haven't lost any matches." The team... Read More »

Adderall: The New Academic Performance Enhancer

Maya Sherne, Breaking News Editor
March 15, 2013
Filed under News

In 2012, a national study by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services revealed that 20.7 percent of students reported taking a prescription drug (Oxycontin, Percocet, Vicodin, Codeine, Adderall, Ritalin or Xanax) without a doctor’s prescription.  Most commonly, drugs abused by teenagers are... Read More »

Miramonte Men’s Varsity Golf Starts the Season Strong

Maya Sherne, Breaking News Editor
March 8, 2013
Filed under Sports

Miramonte's Varsity Men's golf team has a promising season ahead of them.  Led by Patrick Fabian '13 and Henry Cassriel '14, the team has won all of their five games. On Feb.y 14, the team's first game was against Livermore with a win 198 to 217. After a close game, Miramonte beat San Ramon Valley... Read More »

Safeway Fire Suprises Students

Maya Sherne, Breaking News Editor
February 27, 2013
Filed under Breaking News, News

At 7:45 on Tuesday night, a fire broke out at Safeway in Moraga.  The electrical fire was caused by generator.  Six to seven fire engines were at the store within five minutes. When the fire broke out, Safeway immediately shut down power.  An Intercom within the store announced the fire, and Safeway... Read More »

Miramonte Students Exchange Culture with GSE Ambassadors

Maya Sherne, Breaking News Editor
February 8, 2013
Filed under News, Uncategorized

In January, Miramonte students were visited by friendly new faces.  Global Student Embassy, a program that “promotes peace and equitable development by connecting young people from around the world through innovative workshops and service learning exchanges” came to Miramonte. The students, representing... Read More »

Wanting To Give You A Hug

Wanting To Give You A Hug

Maya Sherne, Breaking News Editor
December 19, 2012
Filed under Columns, Top Stories

Growing up, whenever I was upset, my mom would hug me tight and “squeeze the icks out,” and somehow, this act of love always made me feel better.  But now that I’m older, and exposed to much more than my five-year-old self, the icks are sometimes too big to get rid of.  They must be controlled,... Read More »

Controversial Gay Therapy Ban Passes

Controversial Gay Therapy Ban Passes

Maya Sherne, Beats Editor
November 9, 2012
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

You wake up in the morning and scramble out of bed.  You throw on your favorite jeans, pull a T-shirt over your head and slip on your sneakers.  You grab your English paper from the printer and your lunch from the kitchen, and head out to your car.  As you’re getting in, you remember, you forgot... Read More »

The Time I Fell in Love at Camp

The Time I Fell in Love at Camp

Maya Sherne, Staff Writer
October 17, 2012
Filed under Columns, Top Stories

It is impossible to pinpoint the moment I fell in love.  It was over one month, the most fantastic, emotional, spiritual month of my life. With who you might ask?   Well, I’m not in love with a person.  I’m in love with a community.  A movement that offers me more happiness and love than any... Read More »

President Changes Immigration Policy

President Changes Immigration Policy

Maya Sherne, Beats Editor
September 28, 2012
Filed under Opinion, Top Stories

There has recently been an issue heating up politics throughout the United States.  This issue isn’t new, nor is it brought on by environmental issues or war.  In fact, this controversy is over an issue that has been part of American society since the 1700s.  Since the beginning of this country,... Read More »

Parents’ Club Update

Maya Sherne, Beats Editor
September 5, 2012
Filed under News

The Miramonte Parents’ Club has many events in September, the first being Back to School Night, followed by class meetings for parents. At Miramonte’s Back to School Night on Sept. 13, the Parents’ Club will be hosting a reception on the quad from 5:30-6 p.m.  The main objective of the reception... Read More »

What The Boss Means to Me

What The Boss Means to Me

Maya Sherne, Staff Writer
April 30, 2012
Filed under Columns, Top Stories

The screen door slams Mary’s dress sways Like a vision she dances across the porch As the radio plays Every night growing up, my dad would come into my room before bed and sing me Thunder Road.  He’d sing until I fell asleep.  Until I was so enthralled... Read More »

Kony 2012: Empowering or Overhyped? PRO

Maya Sherne, Staff Writer
April 20, 2012
Filed under Opinion

On March 5, the non-profit organization Invisible Children launched a 30-minute video-ad encouraging global citizens to make African warlord Joseph Kony famous, and bring him to justice. After millions of views and countless mentions on Facebook, the Kony 2012 campaign saw its first threads of controversy.... Read More »

Facebook Now a Factor in Admissions Decisions

Maya Sherne, Staff Writer
April 20, 2012
Filed under News

In 2008, Kaplan Test Prep, a website providing high school test prep and admission help, began a survey tracking colleges who checked applicants’ social networking pages to learn more about them. Ten percent of schools reported viewing a student’s Facebook or social networking page. “It seems... Read More »

My Battle With Twitter

My Battle With Twitter

Maya Sherne, Staff Writer
April 2, 2012
Filed under Columns, Top Stories

What is the point of Twitter?  I get emails, texts, I read the newspaper, and I continuously check my news feed.  Do I really want trivial information demanding my attention at every moment?  Do I even want to send out this information? I’ve been debating this with myself for sometime.  At 14,... Read More »

Appeals Court Upholds Repeal of Prop 8

Appeals Court Upholds Repeal of Prop 8

Maya Sherne, Staff Writer
March 9, 2012
Filed under News, Top Stories

On Tuesday, Feb. 7, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the  2010 ruling from the lower court  that effectively repealed Proposition 8, a statewide ban on gay marriage. Proposition 8 originally passed in 2008 with a 52 percent to 48 percent vote. The gay marriage controversy has forever... Read More »

The Art of Growing Old While Staying Young

Maya Sherne, Staff Writer
March 5, 2012
Filed under Columns, Top Stories

Today is my grandfather’s 80th birthday, and yesterday the family gathered to celebrate with a party.  As he was reminiscing, telling stories of his high school years, and life as an adult, it occurred to me that with teenagers everything is life or death. However, by the time you reach my grandfather’s... Read More »

Judging Books by Their Covers

Judging Books by Their Covers

Maya Sherne, Staff Writer
February 6, 2012
Filed under Columns, Top Stories

I was sitting in Seat 19B on a plane from Minneapolis to San Francisco.  There was a man in his late thirties.  Mocha-colored sweater, worn-out straight leg jeans, and black slip-on leather shoes. As the man stared wide-eyed, smiling at everything from the flight attendant to the roughly seven peanuts... Read More »

Governer’s Budget to Impact AUHSD

Maya Sherne, Staff Writer
February 3, 2012
Filed under Breaking News, News

... Read More »

Super PACs Distort American Democracy

Maya Sherne, Staff Writer
February 3, 2012
Filed under Opinion

It started with a hearing.  Initially, this hearing may seem like any other Supreme Court case—a fight for the rights of an individual.  This case, however, was different.  No individual was on trial, and no sole person was being held responsible over a dispute.  Instead, a powerful organization... Read More »

Government Legislation Would Permit Censorship

Maya Sherne, Staff Writer
February 3, 2012
Filed under Opinion

For years, the US government has faced pressure from  entertainment and computer software companies to stop online piracy. Piracy is allowing people to own copies of companies’ merchandise for no expense, and for this reason, it is understandable that companies are pushing for these methods. ... Read More »

Sexual Harassment Study Raises Concern

Maya Sherne, Staff Writer
December 15, 2011
Filed under News

Last month, a study by the Non Partisan American Association of University Women found that 48 percent of 7th to 12th grade students experienced some form of sexual harassment in school. According to the Miramonte High School sexual harassment policy, sexual harassment is defined as “unwelcome... Read More »

Occupy Wall Street Deserves Recognition

Occupy Wall Street Deserves Recognition

Maya Sherne, Staff Writer
November 3, 2011
Filed under Opinion

In 2008, the US economy reached a low that had not been seen since the Great Depression. Houses were foreclosed upon and jobs were lost, but corporate America came out ahead.  Now, three years later, the 99 percent of America is protesting against the corrupt economic system and the unequal distribution... Read More »

Bath Salt Drugs Pose New Threat to California

Maya Sherne, Staff Writer
September 30, 2011
Filed under News

While the national government focuses its attention on overseas wars and the economy, California’s State Assembly is fighting a war on drugs, and on one drug in particular.  The latest designer drug, sold as “bath salts,” is causing a stir amongst California assembly members and families. Bath... Read More »